Monday, May 26, 2008

Armadillo Willy's, Santa Clara

- or -

"There Are Times When You Need to Type AND Eat Barbecue"

The word of the day is to get caught up here. So I head over to Willy's, with their free Wi-fi connection, to get some barbecue and some signal. (The closest one to my place is Homestead and Kiely). They're running a 25th anniversary promotion right now, which means that I'll get a free drink when I get there. (And yeah, yeah, this one doesn't have Dew, they have Pepsi, I know. I just don't feel like driving to hell and back.)

I order a smoked brisket plate (I don't feel like eating a sandwich and it's easier to type and eat with a fork) with two corn muffins and a piece of Texas toast. US$12.

It's exactly what you'd expect. The meat is flavorful, smooth and smokey. The muffins have just the smallest hint of grit. Oh yeah, and the Pepsi's unlimited.

I spend a few hours straightening things up here as the PA plays 80's music (right this second it's Frida's "I know there's something going on," and now Elvis Costello's "Watching the Detectives." Dig that two times, Feddy).

Which means I'm all caught up. And full.

But the culinary wonderment of today isn't finished ...

This evening Cap'n Happy is serving:
* Barcelona bread
* Ferran inspired scallops
* Pasta with veggies
* Chicken Parmesan

With an extra-large serving of how hard he's looking for girlfriends, but failing, I'm sure.

2 comments:

pinhead said...

is it possible to buy food in america that resembles food elsewhere in the world? it just doesn't look edible in the least.

b1-66er said...

not when you shoot it in low-res on a hiptop.